Skip to main content
Apply Now
EWU Libraries
816 F Street
Cheney, WA 99004
phone: 509.359.7888



Faculty Handout : EWU Libraries Guide for Faculty 

For Your Classes | For Your Research

For Your Classes 

Course Reserves: Placing Print/Physical Materials on Reserve

Instructors may place print/physical materials on course reserve by completing the Instructor Reserve Request Form online or stop by the Circulation Desk at the JFK Library or Spokane Academic Library.  The instructor is asked to supply his/her name, course code and course name, preferred loan period, preferred reserve location, length of time materials should remain on reserve, and a listing of the materials to place on reserve.

  • For instructor-owned materials: Deliver the items and a completed reserve request form to the chosen reserve location.
  • For library-owned materials: Upon receipt of a completed reserve request form, library personnel will retrieve the material and deliver it to the requested reserve location.
  • For items not owned by the instructor or the library: If the item is not a textbook, a purchase request can be made for the item via the Reference Desk.  However, approval of purchase is determined by the Collection Services Unit.
  • *Note: Please allow up to two weeks for processing.  Instructors are notified when their material is on reserve and ready for student use.  At the end of the reserve duration the library will gladly return instructor-owned material to its owner via campus mail.

Want to show an EWU Libraries owned video to your class?   We advise you to place the video on reserve for the quarter.  Retrieval will then be available to you throughout the quarter.

Loan Periods: 1, 2, and 3 hours.  1, 2, and 3 days. 1 Week.  Materials assigned hourly loan periods do not leave the library.

Copyright Questions

Would you like some guidance on copyright and fair use issues?  Then use EWU's Copyright & Fair Use Research Guide.  You will find useful information on common copyright and fair use topics.  Plus each topic has contact information for the best person on campus who can help you (see the Get Help tab for a full list).


Are you planning on adding, deleting or otherwise changing a course or program?  Then you'll need to complete the paperwork for one or both of the Course and Program Approval Committees (CPACs). 

*Note: There is a new online system for completing and submitting CPAC forms.  See the links above to access the system and more information.

Distance Education Support

See Services for Distance Education for instructions on obtaining books and articles, as well as library research instruction for your students.

Linking to Articles in Your Canvas Site

Please contact Eastern Online for help with placing electronic content in Canvas. This includes textbook chapters and electronic copies of articles.

If the article is full text in one of the library databases (i.e. Academic Search Complete or JSTOR), then find the permanent or persistent URL.  For the article to be accessible from off-campus, it must go through our proxy server.  Therefore the URL for our proxy server [] must go in front of the persistent URL of the article.  For more detailed information, see the Help sheet on linking to library articles or contact the JFK reference desk [509-359-2263] for help.

Library Instruction for Your Class

The Reference/Instruction Librarians at JFK Library and Spokane Academic Library can provide instruction on using library resources for your classes. This instruction can take a variety of forms, from face-to-face instruction in the Instruction Room at JFK or Spokane Academic Library, to detailed online guides created for the specific class.

Contact either:

Purchasing Books and DVDs: Collection Development

Faculty input is valued for collection development at the EWU Libraries. To request a purchase, faculty should:

  1. Prepare a full citation (author/title/year/ISBN), reason for the request (upcoming course, personal research, core title, library lacks coverage), and date needed by.
  2. Send this information to the  library liaison assigned to your department.
  3. Alternatively, contact Andy Eickholt, Collection Management Librarian directly.
  4. For more information, see our FAQs.

 Purchasing Journals, Magazines, Newspapers, and Electronic Resources: Collection Development

Subscription costs for serials and electronic resources have been increasing at higher rates than for other resources, and therefore, requests for new titles must be considered carefully, as these resources could consume a disproportionately higher share of the ongoing collections budget if not monitored.

Send requests for journals or databases directly to the Collection Management Librarian Andy Eickholt. For more information, see our FAQs.

For Your Research

How do I...

Access databases?

Go to the Research Guides page to browse EWU databases by name or using our research guides by subject.

Because the Spokane Academic Library is shared with WSU, you have access to more databases, such as BIOSIS Citation Index. But you have to be at the Spokane Academic Library to access these WSU databases.

Access the library's electronic resources from off-campus?

All of our databases may be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet.  When you click on the link for that resource (i.e. database), you will log-in using your NetID username and password. This username/password is the same one that you use to log into campus computers, the wireless network, NetStorage,etc.

  • For faculty/staff, your username and password are the same ones you use to access EWU email.
  • For students, your username is usually the first letter of your first name, your last name, and may include the last 2 digits of your EagleCard number.

If you have not created your password, go to See NetID Account for more information.

If you have problems logging in, see Troubleshooting Off-Campus Connections to Databases.

Find the full text  of an article within a database?

When you are searching in one of the our databases and the article isn't available full text right there, look for an icon or hyperlink that says EWU - Check for Full Text.  A new screen will open showing you the various options you have to find it.

  • If the article is available online, it will say Full text available atand give alink to database(s) to find it.
  • If the article is not available full text, it will say "No full text available." Click the Get It tab to see if we have it in print or microfilm. Be sure to note the years of coverage, location and call number of the journal.

Find a particular journal, magazine or newspaper?

EWU Library Catalog Title Search -- Search to see if we have a particular periodical (journal, magazine or newspaper) online, in print or microfilm. Type in the name of the journal, magazine or newspaper in the box labeled in the title ♦ starts with and change the Material Type to Journal.

  • If we have the title online, it will have a green bullet labeled Online access. Click the link View Online to see a list of databases with date ranges. Click on the name of the database to view the journal.
  • If we have it physically (in print and/or microfilm), it will have a green bullet labeled Available at and the location (call number). Click the link Get It to view the years we have available.

EJournals A-Z -- Alphabetical list of the journals, magazines and newspapers we have online in our databases. It will not show if we have it in print or microfilm in the library.

Get materials that the library doesn't own?  

Use the InterLibrary Loan (ILL) online forms to request articles, books & other materials that aren't available in Summit. If you are using the ILL system for the first time, then you'll need to set up your contact information and user preferences. See the Interlibrary Loan guide for more information.

Get help?

You can walk in to the JFK Reference Desk or use our help page to contact us by phone (359-2263), Ask a Librarian chat service or by E-mail.

Make a suggestion?

Do you have a suggestion, compliment or concern that you'd like to share with the library?  Use our online form to send us your feedback. 

Obtain a Proxy Card for my graduate assistant?

You may authorize a research assistant to check out materials on your behalf. Contact the Circulation Department for the form. 

Renew books & review my account

To renew materials online, go to the View Your Library Accounts page to access the various library accounts.  Most EWU materials can be renewed two times before you have to bring them back. Summit materials cannot be renewed.

Take out periodicals from the library?

Periodicals may be checked out by faculty for 3 days/no renewals. (Fines are rather steep -- $5 per day/per item, so be sure to bring them back on time.)


© 2018 Eastern Washington University
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.